DEL, the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) and Thrive by Five Washington led the recent revision of the guidelines in close partnership with a 51-member workgroup that included statewide representatives from Head Start, the Early Childhood Education and Assistance Program (ECEAP), parents, Tribes, child care providers, special needs experts, K-12 staff and our state's ethnic commissions.
The guidelines are a resource for child care providers and families to help recognize what children ages birth through third grade should be doing and learning at different stages of their development. The guidelines have pages for each age group to use as a quick reference and are written in a clear, easy-to-understand way.
- Page 16 has suggestions for the ways parents, child care providers and kingergarten through third grade teachers can use the guidelines.
- Each section starts with "What families already know about their children: five questions to reflect on."
- At the end of each section is a page called "Differences in development" that outlines areas of potential concerns for that age group.
- View the guidelines: http://www.del.wa.gov/development/guidelines/default.aspx
- Read the press release: http://www.del.wa.gov/resources/newsroom/032012.aspx
- Read Thrive by Five Washington’s blog post about the guidelines: http://t.co/dl9s5bbP