As a result, the Legislature passed a law (SB 5879) that required the following:
- The Legislature established DEL as the agency of record and gave it full program oversight responsibility. DEL now has the authority to adopt rules related to Part C programs.
- The Legislature voiced their frustrations with the accounting practices of the program and asked for a full accounting of ESIT expenditures at DEL and OSPI.
- The Legislature asked DEL to propose a plan for program design and oversight that is due in December.
- Response Plan Draft (Response to SB5879): Draft ESIT Paper 10 31.pdf
Additional elements of the plan that are yet to be incorporated into the document include:
- Map of Proposed Regions: Proposed_regions_2.pdf
- proposed timelines,
- updated cost study information and other fiscal components of the plan
- logic model and
- clarification of feedback from stakeholders (included in tables in the plan).
The next steps and timelines for our response to the legislation are listed below:
- ESIT’s proposed rules were published in the State Register on Nov. 2 and are posted on DEL’s rulemaking web page. These rules are draft and indicate a direction but would benefit greatly from your input.
- Creating an easily audited and transparent financial model for the ESIT program is essential to securing future investment and maximizing the amount of services we can deliver with the resources available.
- We will submit our draft plan to the Legislature in December. The Legislature will then respond to our plan. If they want changes, more information, etc., they will ask in the 2017 session which begins January 9, 2017.
- There will be hearings on the proposed plan where testimony is welcome.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The most current version of the Department of Early Learning’s response to SB 5879 is now available on the DEL website.
You can also find the recording of the stakeholder feedback webinar from 10/21/16 posted with the draft plan on the DEL website. This webinar was an opportunity for feedback, questions and answers.
We will be accepting feedback on the plan until November 10, 2016. Please send any written feedback to Laurie Thomas at email@example.com